So my initially Nanobridge factory reset itself, before resetting itself every minute or so. I assumed it was due to my crappy wiring initially. First thing I did was get a Ubiquiti ETH-SP Ethernet Surge Protector, this really is more related to the safety of the LAN than anything else, except that now I have the Ethernet port for the NanoBridge accessible from my ceiling. When I went to install the ETH-SP I found one pair of the network cable wasn’t connected properly.
- Raspbian comes with default user:pass = pi:raspbian so this needs to be changed
- I confirmed SSH was installed and working.
- Following these instructions;
- I installed ufw
sudo apt-get install ufw sudo ufw allow ssh etc..
- I confirmed NTP configuration.
- I installed ufw
- Installed autoupdates, similar to this with different config.
- Installed postfix, kind of like this.
- the rest of the steps are basically the same that I used for Ubuntu – except that there isn’t a proper Ubuntu release for RPI3 yet.
Monday a wifi stumble returned some surprisingly decent numbers, initially my idea was to have a mast up by Tuesday. I repaired my hammer drill and got to constructing. This effort resulted in a total of half a hole drilled once I’d gotten up to the roof.
I’ve been looking at the lovely new Makita hammer drill I bought and feeling a bit guilty. Oh well I bought it now, lets hope Makita doesn’t pull any planned obsolescence schemes on the batteries any time soon.
It’s now Thursday, I was able to run a cable to my LAN and stumble a connection. Initially I was getting signal around 80dBm, I went to google earth so I knew at least which direction to aim and zing we’re online!
So when I googled this I got links to setting up a hot spot and other assorted irrelevant stuff, so I did this. I created a certificate in winbox using System/Certificates. Then, here’s the best part, went to IP/Services and gained access to to all the current services, making routerOS look like an actual OS for me, rather than a complicated WebUI for this router thing. So now I set all the services to a /16 Mask (leaving room for my old subnet if I need it) on my LAN IP range, and I shouldn’t be getting a crazy amount of login attempts now – after selecting my cert and ticking the box for www-ssl, thats all, ticking the freaking box. cranking out the command line not required 😀
Reminded me of this inspiring video, which linked to a new dam video. snackpot!