Running DC++ on my RPI3

MicroDC2 Seems to be a good client to use for a headless server. It is configured by command line and there appears to be an update released just recently (first update in 5 years). The package installs using apt-get in Debian (I’m using Debian since there isn’t a proper Ubuntu release for the RPI3 yet).

sudo apt-get install microdc2

Continue reading “Running DC++ on my RPI3”

LinkyMcLinkFace Part 2

So my initially Nanobridge factory reset itself, before resetting itself every minute or so. I assumed it was due to my crappy wiring initially. First thing I did was get a Ubiquiti ETH-SP Ethernet Surge Protector, this really is more related to the safety of the LAN than anything else, except that now I have the Ethernet port for the NanoBridge accessible from my ceiling. When I went to install the ETH-SP I found one pair of the network cable wasn’t connected properly.

Continue reading “LinkyMcLinkFace Part 2”

Raspbian on RPi3 for NAS

Using a Western Digital PiDrive Cable to power the setup.
  • Raspbian comes with default user:pass = pi:raspbian so this needs to be changed
  • I confirmed SSH was installed and working.
  • Following these instructions;
    • I installed ufw
      sudo apt-get install ufw
      sudo ufw allow ssh
    • I confirmed NTP configuration.
  • Installed autoupdates, similar to this with different config.
  • Installed postfix, kind of like this.
  • the rest of the steps are basically the same that I used for Ubuntu – except that there isn’t a proper Ubuntu release for RPI3 yet.


Monday a wifi stumble returned some surprisingly decent numbers, initially my idea was to have a mast up by Tuesday. I repaired my hammer drill and got to constructing. This effort resulted in a total of half a hole drilled once I’d gotten up to the roof.

I’ve been looking at the lovely new Makita hammer drill I bought and feeling a bit guilty. Oh well I bought it now, lets hope Makita doesn’t pull any planned obsolescence schemes on the batteries any time soon.

It’s now Thursday, I was able to run a cable to my LAN and stumble a connection. Initially I was getting signal around 80dBm, I went to google earth so I knew at least which direction to aim and zing we’re online!