I used a diamond hole saw from eBay to make 2 holes in the roof tiles, and made use of an existing satellite dish mast for the final mounting point.
- Obtain win 7 installation files.
This site is a mirror for all the win 7 ISOs (in several languages), includes links to MSDN file hashes (after downloading, I used HashTools to compare hashes).
Also there is a tricky possible solution here.
- Format a USB as a installation disk using Rufus.
- Install OS as Admin user, install critical drivers from hardware vendor website, use these instructions to bring computer up to date.
- Install Chrome, firefox, VLC, Microsoft Security Essentials, f.lux, adobe reader, skype, libre office.
- My keyboard has a rotary volume encoder so I installed 3RVX from softpedia for onscreen volume display, and I installed MemInfo to show RAM usage in the taskbar
- Create default non-admin user for logging in. Add autologin.
Building a mast for a UBNT 5G wifi link..
I moved the project to some acrylic in what is possibly the final stage for the project.While I thought the software reset for the Ethernet chip would suffice for connection problems, it appears this isn’t the case. I’ll try reprogramming the chip with an interrupt reboot for the main program loop, currently the device isn’t sending info to ThingSpeak.
Once the code is running smoothly (for at least a week) I’ll add email notifications. In the future I won’t use this Ethernet chip, there is a similarly priced chip I have which is much more capable.